Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Using Books as Shelves

The first time I saw this idea was by Karl on this past season of HGTV's Design Star.  Within the past month I saw it in one of my magazines too and now I'm trying to find somewhere in my house to do this.  This is a great DIY and a great way to recycle good reads.  Instead of sticking books on shelves, make them the shelves!!

Karl used L brackets and instead of using a piece of wood as a shelf, he just inserted a book!  My only critique is that I would have built the unit to where the spines of the books would show as the shelves instead.


This is the first time I've seen it done this way (the books hung vertically).  Love.
Source:  inhabit.com


GOLD STAR:  You can purchase books ready to hang at Little Fish Furniture's link below.  Browse through their library of titles!  I much prefer their hidden bracket approach for the hanging which gives it the floating shelf effect.


OMG - Container Store sells brackets specifically for this! Made by Umbra, the price is right at $9.99 for the smaller (holds up to 15 lbs) and $12.99 for the larger. I would go for the smaller so you don't have to stack as many books to cover up the bracket.


Source:  Busyboo


Source:  HolyCool.net


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...