Thursday, April 5, 2012

Fabric Backed Bookshelf

This was a super quick DIY, try it out this weekend!

On a whim, I decided that the bookshelf in my den needed some brightening up. So I measured my bookcase twice (measure twice, cut once), went to my new favorite fabric store in Bentonville, M. Grace, and got the proper yardage of Premier Prints' Zig Zag fabric in Village Green and Natural.  The green matched my walls and the natural matched my trim.  Perfect fit!!

After I got home I trimmed off the 1.5 inches of natural fabric from the sides and made sure the top and bottom were cut perfectly straight.  Then I spent about the next half hour starching and ironing and steaming the fabric to get the wrinkles out. 

Next I busted out my staple gun, lined up the fabric, and got going!  The dogs were in a panic from the staple gun noise, but I was giggling from excitement!  I started by stapling and securing the fabric all the way across the top first.  Then I went down the middle of the bookshelf and made sure the fabric was lined up and secured that.   Then I did the left side and bottom left and right side and bottom right.  It was super easy and fast - and then I had an accomplished project and felt like a million bucks.  I love Thursdays!

This will be the last of my chevron infusion into my home for awhile.  A little goes a long way, and I don't have many more rooms to put it in.  Guess I'll have to move on to greek key!

Recycling/Updating Corkboards

I have been on a mission to better myself the past 3 weeks.  I've started a regular cleaning schedule (still tweaking) and am wrapping up little projects left and right. 

You might remember my first post about corkboards (here).  In summary, I took a corkboard that was too big, cut it in half, covered it with fabric, and added decorative upholstery nails to jazz it up.  That was in October I think and it took no time at all.  Well, now it's April and I'm just now getting around to doing the other one.  (This goes back to my New Years resolution of not procrastination.  I'm getting better!)

I did the other one and have both hanging side by side in my laundry room and they are great!  I was running out of room to pin stuff up with just the one.

I just love the nailhead accent.  I could put nailhead on just about everything and adore it. 

The fabric I used is Waverly Groovy Grille in Licorice.  You can buy it here.

I cannot stress how helpful using chalk was to draw the lines and punch the upholstery nails in.  The best part of using chalk is that just a little bit of water removes it from the fabric! 

I've been ordering fabric for Evelyn's "big girl" room.  Samples are on the way so hopefully I can have a post about it soon!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...