Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Frame Your Thermostat



I might be addicted to Hobby Lobby as I just took my third trip there since Monday.  This trip was made for  my mom though; I'm looking for a table for her kitchen.  But that didn't stop me from buying a pedestal table for E's big girl room and a 50% off picture frame.

I had measured our thermostat a few weeks ago thinking that I might put a frame around it to jazz it up, but the HL I've been visiting didn't have anything I liked in stock.  But today, I decided to try out a different HL and Whoa Momma!  They had so much different stuff than the other location.  So I grabbed a frame that was exactly what I was looking for...




...and even though its plain white, I'm going to work with it for now and when paint it later when I decide on the colors for the entryway (right now it's turquoise and orange-red). 

This was a super quick project.  It took me all of 20 minutes and should take you only 10.  I'll tell you where my hang-ups occurred so you won't waste time like I did. 

So you've got your frame.  Open it up and take out the insides (glass included if possible).  If your frame has an attached back like mine did, just grab some scissors and cut that bad boy off. 





Now, if you come across something that looks like hot glue holding the glass in, I don't recommend using tweezers to pull it off because you might stab yourself in the hand (knowledge sharing).

 

I coverd the injury with one of E's cupcake band aids.  It bled a lot!


So I popped the entire thing in the microwave for 22 seconds and then it came off no problem!

After that I removed all the little metal pieces that were on the back side of the frame so it didn't scratch up the wall.  The pieces I removed were the little twirly things (technical term) that hold the back and all the stuff in the frame.


Then it was time to add our hanging device to the frame.  After multiple tries with different types of hanging pieces, I ended up using this type because it had a low profile (wouldn't stick out too far from the wall) and I super glued it on because the frame was ceramic and I couldn't nail anything into it. Hot glue would probably work too.   




Then it was all ready!  Time to hang it up.



BEFORE

AFTER


WALL BEFORE

WALL AFTER

Big improvement!  My only regret is that I didn't think to get a frame for our thermostat for the upstairs too!  Perhaps I just need to make another trip to Hobby Lobby (oh darn). 

Check back tomorrow to see who the winner of the earrings giveaway is! There's still time to enter if you haven't. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...