Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Sweet Potato Souffle and Post Thanksgiving Reflection

I don't know about yall, but Thanksgiving wore me out this year.  We had it at our house and I cooked everything for the main course - which is usually no big deal, but afterwards I was really fighting sleep and continued to do so until this morning.  Maybe Joe and I were just taking advantage of not having to do anything. 

Joe has been working 60+ hour weeks at work because of year end for the past month and a half, so it was very nice to spend time with him.  I knew I had missed him, but not how much until I had him back.

Enough of me being sentimental.  Thanksgiving Day this year also marked the day Evie dropped my phone in the potty during an extended attempt to go pee pee in the potty. I thought maybe watching some YouTube videos would relax her and allow her to....you know.  Instead she dropped it in the potty and I stupidly tried to turn it on and fried the entire thing.  So I have my first iPhone shipping to me right now.  I'm a little nervous about  not having the security of my QWERTY keyboard from my Blackberry, but I'm sure I will persevere.

Evelyn also went poo poo in the potty for the first time - it was epic.  Enough said.  I don't want to embarass her too much.

We also bought a couch for our Bonus Room upstairs after much overanalyzing done by both Joe and myself (you can take the girl out of accounting, but can't take the accounting out of a girl).  Right now we watch TV from the comfort of our floor, so it's kinda a big deal.

Profound Thanksgiving Reflection:  (drumroll, please)  The best thing about Thanksgiving is the leftovers.  The worst thing about Thanksgiving is the leftovers. 

Leftovers are bad because we have sooooo many leftovers that we will eventually throw out and I feel wasteful.  Why won't people take leftovers with them?  We actually had an entire pumpkin pie still in tact after having a 14 family member dinner.  I blame Joe entirely, because he requested a peanut butter pie from my mom and everyone was intrigued and wanted to try it this year.

Leftovers are good because they are sooooo good.  We've had 2 leftover meals since Thanksgiving dinner and I'm still looking forward to another leftover lunch today.  Why don't I make this meal more often?

My favorite leftover and this year's big hit was the Sweet Potato Souffle I made.  My parents gave me The Los Barrios Family Cookbook two Octobers ago after meeting the author, Dianna Barrios Trevino.  In short, they own a renowned Mexican restaurant in San Antonio.  Low and behold the most amazing sweet potato casserole recipe was inside this cookbook.  It was the first thing I made when I got it and Joe and Evelyn have both gobbled it up every meal since.  I've made a few changes to the original recipe - for one, I reduced the amount of sugar by half.  That's how sweet this thing is!!  Joe was not a sweet potato fan before I started making this, so it's really worth a try.

Ingredients for souffle:
2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
2 eggs, beaten
3/4th cup sugar
6 Tablespoons of butter
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan. Combine the above ingredients (I use a mixer) and put in the pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until it sets.

While the souffle is baking, prepare the topping.

Topping ingredients:
6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup crushed cornflakes (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix the ingredients and when the souffle is done with it's initial cooking period, spread this on top and cook an additional 10 minutes.

I had never tried the cornflakes before Thursday, but I went ahead and tried it and did not like it as much as just the butter, sugar, and pecans.  Joe hates pecans so I leave those out often and it's still delicious. 

Now it's time for Christmas decor to go up.  That should keep me busy for a few days as well as the many crafts and projects I have planned.  Come back and visit soon!  I'll have some gift ideas, DIY projects, and obsessions going out this week! Besos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...