Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Petal Pillow

Today's project was pretty fun to do - and E was very happy with the finished project which always adds to my joy. It's a project that you need absolutely no sewing skills to do! With no further ado, I give you How to Make a Petal Pillow.

It's a petal pillow!  I saw some on Etsy and thought they were so cute but the wait for your order was like 6+ weeks.  So what did I do?  Figured it out and made my own!  I made my own stencils by hand for each petal size and have made a pdf document link for you to download and use if you'd like.  This is the first time I've done the pdf thing so let me know if it doesn't work.  (Link is at the bottom of the blog entry).

I had some leftover polka dot fabric from Evelyn's comforter my mom made so I cut a 17 by 17 inch piece.  (Specific directions on how to make a pillow cover with zipper are found here).  I bought a yard of the hot pink felt at Joann (used a 40% coupon which they always have) and on a separate trip bought the button with another coupon from Joann as well. 

 
 
I'm not gonna lie.  This project was pretty time consuming but that was in part because I had no clue what I was doing.  Hopefully the stencil I made will help you out.  You just cut the felt and sew it on in a circle onto the fabric.  That sounds simple enough, right?  But when you do layer after layer after layer it takes awhile.  And sometimes I wouldn't cut enough petals and had to go back and cut more.  It was an ongoing project that lasted a few nights. 
 
I didn't change petal size every "row" I sewed.  There are only 7 petal sizes on my template and probably 10 or 11 "rows" that I ended up sewing.  There is definitely no "right" way to do this.  You literally just stack them on top of each other and keep sewing.  I do suggest sewing towards the bottom of the petals.  After I was completely done "petaling" I went back on some rows and sewed another round of stitches in to make sure the petals laid flat. 
 
A view of the what the backside of the fabric looked like when I was done sewing all the petals onto the fabric. 
 
I really don't have any directions other than just go for it! 
 
Here's a look at it in process. 
 
 
 A look at the finished project before I added the button in the middle of the flower. 

 
I created a pdf download for the stencils I made and used for the petals for this pillow.  That link is here.  I hope this helps!   
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...