Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Field of Flags

I might have mentioned that before (i.e. flag drapped over my shoulders during the Olympics).  I grew up in Fort Smith, AR.  "Fort" being a civil war army fort.  Then in later years they developed Fort Chaffee which is a huge Army base where they do training year round.  My dad was in the army during the Vietnam War and then moved into goverment service as an FBI agent.  It would be an understatement to say I grew up in a patriotic enviroment. 

I cry everytime I hear the words to "God Bless the USA" - and I am not a crier.  The old myth behind the song is that Lee Greenwood actually wrote and performed it for the first time IN Fort Smith.  Whether this is true or not - who knows.  I googled, but couldn't find anything.  So I'll choose to believe it. 

This past weekend, Joe and I drove to Granbury, TX (southwest of Fort Worth) for one of his college roomate's weddings.  The wedding took place at the OW Ranch outside of town and was a gorgeous spot.  When we were driving into Granbury we were taken aback with a field of American flags on the side of the highway.  It was, for lack of a better word, beautiful.  It was almost hypnotic with all those stripes flapping in the wind as we drove by. 

On Saturday we ventured to the "Field of Flags" with our friends Todd and Jackie.  I was cursing myself in my head for not bringing "the big camera" to document the site.  After approaching the flags I noticed a tag hanging on the pole.  Each flag was representative of a service person from Granbury who passed away while in service. It was such a beautiful memorial and really made me think about the true meaning of Memorial Day.  I usually think of it as a day off from work to BBQ and hit the lake, but it really is so much more.  We have so much to be thankful and proud for as Americans and that is all owed to people that stood up and fought for our country.  

The minute we got home from Texas I retrieved our American Flag and hung it proudly on the front of our house.  That's the first time I've hung it since moving back to Arkansas.  Now I want it to be more of a permanent fixture. I included all the pics I took - I hope you enjoy! 

    








I couldn't get all the flags in the frame to show the scale of the "field".

"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me and I proudly stand up next to you and defend her still today. Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. God Bless the U.S.A." 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...